Did You Know…
- IHOP serves more than 700 MILLION pancakes per year. That’s about 4 billion 900 million inches or 75,750 miles of pancakes, which could go around the earth about 5 times!
- Every year, IHOP also serves 214 million eggs, 100 million cups of coffee, 32 million pounds of bacon, sausage, and ham, 14 million gallons of orange juice, and 1.5 million gallons of syrup.
- IHOP was founded in 1958 in Toluca Lake, CA. It was originally named “The International House of Pancakes.” It began expanding through franchises in 1960.
- In 1973, the company began using the short-form “IHOP” in its ad campaigns.
- “IHOP” quickly caught on with customers and became the company’s official name in 1994.
- IHOP has over 1500 locations in the US alone, and has locations in countries such as Bahrain, Canada, Dubai (UAE), Guatemala, Kuwait, Mexico, The Philippines, Puerto Rico, Saudi Arabia, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
- IHOP’s National Pancake Day has raised nearly $20 million in ten years.
- Sharp Holding’s owner and founder, Robert Sharp, joined IHOP in 1970.
- Sharp opened his first IHOP franchise in 1992. In 1997 he was name IHOP Franchise Owner of the Year. In 1998 he founded Sharp Holding, Inc.
- In 1994, one of Sharp’s restaurants became the first IHOP franchise to exceed $3 million in yearly sales.
- In 2004, Jane Manning – a loyal, long-term Sharp company team member – came up with the idea of IHOP Funnel Cakes. The idea became one of IHOP’s greatest promotional success stories.
As of 2015, Sharp Holding owns and operates 14 IHOP franchises in 5 different states, with a 15th and 16th coming soon to West Virginia and Ohio respectively.